Vertigo and Chiropractic Care
It’s one thing to feel a bout of dizziness before, during, or after a workout, but imagine feeling dizzy for an entire day. We’re referring to vertigo, a condition in which you feel dizzy or off-balance as if the world is spinning around you. This condition can be temporary or long-term and though it affects men and women, it is most common among elderly patients.
Vertigo is often caused by an inner ear complication, but less often, vertigo may be associated with a head or neck injury, a stroke, certain medications, or migraine headaches. Treatment for vertigo typically depends on what’s causing it, but this is something that can be determined by your chiropractor.
Symptoms of Vertigo
Patients who have suffered from vertigo describe the symptoms of feeling:
- Pulled to one direction
Other symptoms that accompany vertigo include:
- Ringing in the ears
Chiropractic Treatment Methods for Vertigo
If you are prone to vertigo, it helps to avoid alcohol, cigarettes, fried foods or excessive amounts of salt, as these can be triggers. If you fall victim to this condition and need to seek help immediately, consider chiropractic care. The following methods are helpful in treating vertigo:
- Chiropractic Manipulation – Spinal manipulation is a safe and effective way to treat vertigo. This is because, in the upper neck, incorrect motion patterns create miscommunication between your joints and the brain, causing vertigo. Your chiropractor will use hand manipulation to target joints that have limited mobility.
- Positioning Maneuvers – The ear is the center of our body’s balance and in some patient’s debris may build up and settle in sensitive areas within the tubes, resulting in vertigo. A chiropractor may use a technique called the “Epley Maneuver” to reposition the debris to a more inoffensive position.
- What is wellness?
- Soccer Kids Need Protection
- Vitamin D Deficiency May Contribute to Musculoskeletal Pain
- What’s new about sleep?
- Pamper yourself during your pregnancy - Visit a chiropractor
- Healthy diet and chiropractic
- Chiropractic and the immune system
- Care for Sports Injuries
- Sports Physicals, Online Appointments and more!
- Chiropractic Care for Workplace Injuries
- Health Benefits of Regular Chiropractic Care